Friday, January 30, 2009

John Updike dichtte over zijn dood (NRC HANDELSBLAD 30 januari 2009)


Vlak voor hij op dinsdag overleed, maakte de Amerikaanse schrijver John Updike een gedicht over zijn eigen dood.

Requiem

It came to me the other day:
Were I to die, no one would say,
„Oh, what a shame! So young, so full
Of promise - depths unplumbable!”


Instead, a shrug and tearless eyes
Will greet my overdue demise;
The wide response will be, I know,
„I thought he died a while ago.”


For life’s a shabby subterfuge,
And death is real, and dark, and huge.
The shock of it will register
Nowhere but where it will occur.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

si un dia mi kurpa mi bandona
pa nunka mas mi regresa
no yega serka pa yore
ni tampoko pa kontemple

lo mi no tei mas pa dunabu
loke awe bo ta rechasa
ni tampoko pa abo dunami
loke en vano m' a anhela

Diana Marquez